Dhanteras also known as the festival of...
Our Mentor tells, Karmyog is concentrating the mind during all activities on GOD. It helps in controlling the ever disturbing senses.
In Shrimad Bhagwad Gita, Lord Krishna says, three things are very important while doing work-
योगस्थः कुरु कर्माणि सङ्गं त्यक्त्वा धनंजय ।
सिद्धि-असिद्ध्योः समः भूत्वा समत्वं योगः उच्यते ||२-४८||
हे धनञ्जय ! तू आसक्ति को त्याग कर तथा सिद्भि और असिद्भि में समान बुद्भि वाला होकर योग में स्थित हुआ कर्तव्य कर्मों को कर, समत्व ही योग कहलाता है ।। ४८ ।।
1. It says that maintaining equanimity among all the dualities of life, i.e happiness-sorrow, life-death, profit-loss, success-failure, pain-pleasure etc is “YOG”. Tolerating all the extremities of life with the same patience not only ensures proprietorship in one’s behaviour but also balancing of mind in these dualities makes one equiposed in all circumstances.
It seems to be quite easy saying these words but practicing it in actual, needs internal strength, will power and Love towards the aim of life.
As there are high waves on the top of the oceans, but going deep within, we find stillness inside. This stillness is an indicator of peace and one can attain a similar peace in life when one detaches himself from the dualities of life and go deeper within where there resides Love for GOD.
बुद्धियुक्तः जहाति इह उभे सुकृतदुष्कृते ।
तस्मात् योगाय युज्यस्व योगः कर्मसु कौशलम् ।।२-५०।।
समबुद्भि युक्त पुरुष पुण्य और पाप दोनों को इसी लोक में त्याग देता है अर्थात् उनसे मुक्त हो जाता है । इससे तू समत्व-रूप योग में लग जा, यह समत्वरूप योग ही कर्मों में कुशलता है अर्थात् कर्म बन्धन से छूटने का उपाय है ।।
2. Being connected with GOD, while doing work is Worship. Yog means connection, this Yog while doing work is the highest form of service.
There is a difference between doing work and doing service (seva). Work implies any form of physical or mental labour being done while seva means the same work with a different internal feeling of doing it for GOD. As a result, this connection with GOD gives two benefits simultaneously-
Firstly, it increases our Love with GOD which is prime aim of our life.
In this way, just doing work is not as efficient as doing the same work smartly and the only smartness that pays is having Love for GOD that comes with getting connected through each and every work.
कर्मण्येवाधिकारस्ते मा फलेषु कदाचन ।
मा कर्मफलहेतुर्भूर्मा ते सङ्गोऽस्त्वकर्मणि ||२-४७||
तेरा कर्म करने में ही अधिकार है, उसके फलों में कभी नहीं । इसलिये तू कर्मों के फल का हेतु मत हो तथा तेरी कर्म न करने में भी आसक्त्ति न हो ।।
3. In this verse of Shrimad Bhagwad Gita, Lord Krishna says that perform the actions with a feeling of not being entitled to the fruits of the actions. Do not worry about the results of your duties, just perform them wisely. This will help in maintaining peace of mind and in attaining neutrality in the behaviour.
Conclusion- Three most important things to be kept in mind while doing work are-
- Connection with GOD.
- Maintaining equanimity among the dualities of life.
- Focussing on the work rather than on the results.