Dhanteras also known as the festival of...
Kadi patta or curry leaves is a staple in Indian dishes. Commonly used as seasoning, this leaf adds a special flavour to every dish it is added to.
Curry leaves are packed with carbohydrates, fiber, calcium, phosphorous, iron, magnesium, copper, minerals and vitamins like nicotinic acid and vitamin C, vitamin A, vitamin B, vitamin E, antioxidants, plant sterols, amino acids, glycosides and flavonoids.
1. Helps keep anemia at bay
Kadi patta or curry leaves are a rich source of iron and folic acid. Therefore it is a natural remedy to beat anaemia.
Tip: If you suffer from anaemia eat one date (khajoor) with two kadi patta leaves on and empty stomach every morning.
2. Protects your liver from damage
Curry leaves were highly effective in protecting the liver from oxidative stress that commonly affects it when one ingests harmful substances like mercury (commonly found in fish), alcohol and other environmental factors. The highly effective anti-oxidative properties – due to the high amount of kaempferol it contains – combined with vitamin A and C not only protects the liver but also stimulates it to work more efficiently.
Tip: This remedy is very effective to strengthen the liver. Heat one spoon of homemade ghee, add the juice of a cup of kadi patta, some sugar and freshly powdered pepper. Remember to only heat this mixture a little as Kaempferol boils at very low temperatures and will evaporate if overheated.
3. Keeps your blood sugar levels under check – fights diabetes
Curry leaves are potent anti-diabetic agents. They are believed to also have an adjuvant action on non-insulin dependent diabetics (people with type 2 diabetes). Curry leaves helps to lower the blood sugar levels, and also keeps it in check for a few days after the administration of curry leaves. It affects the insulin activity of the body and reduces ones blood sugar levels.
Tip: To help keep your blood sugars under check you should ideally add kadi patta to all your meals. Eat 10 fresh fully grown Curry Leaves every morning for three months will help to prevent diabetes due to heredity factors.
4. Improves digestion
Curry leaves is known to help improve digestion and alter the way your body absorbs fat, thereby helping you lose weight. Since weight gain is one of the leading causes of diabetes, kadi patta treats the problem right at the root.
5. Lowers cholesterol
Many research shows that curry leaves have properties that can help in lowering one’s blood cholesterol levels. Packed with antioxidants, curry leaves prevent the oxidation of cholesterol that forms LDL cholesterol (bad cholesterol). This in turn helps in increasing the amount of good cholesterol (HDL) and protects your body from conditions like heart disease and atherosclerosis.
Tip: To reduce weight 8 to 10 leaves can be taken daily with food or drink. If the taste is not an issue. it can be taken fresh.
6. Prevents graying of hair
Kadi patta has always been known to help in preventing graying of the hair. It is also very effective in treating damaged hair, adding bounce to limp hair, strengthening the shaft of thin hair, hair fall and treats dandruff. You can either choose to eat the curry leaves to help with your hair woes or apply it to your scalp as a remedy.
Tip: To help strengthen your hair and fight dandruff, add the juice of kadi patta, to 100ml of coconut oil. Heat this oil till it turns blackish and apply it to your scalp regularly
7. Reduces congestion in the chest and nose
If you suffer from a wet cough, sinusitis or chest congestion, kadi patta is a very effective home remedy to relieve the symptoms. Packed with vitamin C, A and compounds such as kaempferol that is a very potent anti inflammatory, anti bacterial, anti fungal, decongestant and antioxidative agent, curry leaves can help loosen up and release congested mucous.
Tip: To relieve congestion take a spoon of powdered curry leaves and add a spoon of honey to it. Make it a paste and eat this solution twice a day.
Few more tips on Curry leaves-
- For eyes: Put fresh juice of curry leaves in the eyes, which prevents early development of cataract and also make the eyes look bright. Eating 5 to 6 fresh leaves daily improves eyesight.
- For morning sickness, nausea due to indigestion: Take 2 teaspoons of Curry Leaf juice mixed with a teaspoon of Lime juice every morning.
- For stomach upsets: Ground Curry Leaves to a fine paste and mix it with buttermilk and drink this in the morning on an empty stomach.
- To treat urinary problems: Mix Curry Leaf juice with Cardamom (elachi) powder and consume it.
- For Bloated abdomen and nausea (feeling to vomit): Take 5 to 6 Curry leaves, chop and crush them well. Mix well in a glass of butter milk and take whenever needed.
- For morning sickness: Prepare lemonade with honey. Mix half teaspoon of Curry leaf juice in it and drink.
- For Anaemia: Half to One teaspoon of dry leaf powder can be taken once or twice to increase Haemoglobin level, promote hair growth.
- For glowing and beautiful skin: Take Curry leaves daily.
- Daily intake will reduce burning sensation of body, heartburn, indigestion, tiredness and exhaustion.
- Daily intake prevents cancer as it inhibits the growth of cancerous cells.